Down-Home Pork Chops for Two
Zippy sauce made of brown sugar, crushed red pepper flakes and soy sauce adds personality to this otherwise straightforward main dish. Denise Hruz - Germantown, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25
- 2 boneless pork loin chops (4 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork chops on both sides in oil; remove and set aside. Add garlic to the pan; saute for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, brown sugar, soy sauce and pepper flakes. Return chops to the pan; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove chops and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with chops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 220 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Down Home Pork Chops in Simple & Delicious March/April 2010