Down-Home Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Spread with ketchup; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Meat loaf may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 294 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Down-Home Meat Loaf
"I have made this meatloaf for years and find it to be the closest to the meatloaf that I remember as a child. Don't let the horseradish scare you off! You don't taste it when you eat it. It is a great combination of ingredients."
"I've never been much of a meatloaf fan, but I've made this several times and love it. It's my go to recipe to make and give to new moms, sick friends, etc. They always ask for the recipe - I've even had other people ask me for the recipe because the person I made it for told them how good it was! I always make 2 at time -because it's easy but messy. I freeze my 2nd one uncooked that way it doesn't taste like re-heated leftovers when we eat it."