Down-Home Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Spread with ketchup; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Meat loaf may be frozen for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 294 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 29, 2019
It had great flavor and held together really well. Only change I would make in the future would be to add some mustard and horseradish to the topping too.
Jul 3, 2019
My family are fans of meatloaf. This is a tasty recipe and I like that it is all beef. We pretty much always have the ingredients on hand so it is just a matter of putting it all together and baking it. Even I can do it.
Jul 9, 2018
This is delicious! The horseradish adds a surprising new flavor to traditional meat loaf.
Oct 3, 2012
I have made this meatloaf for years and find it to be the closest to the meatloaf that I remember as a child. Don't let the horseradish scare you off! You don't taste it when you eat it. It is a great combination of ingredients.
Nov 6, 2009
I've never been much of a meatloaf fan, but I've made this several times and love it. It's my go to recipe to make and give to new moms, sick friends, etc. They always ask for the recipe - I've even had other people ask me for the recipe because the person I made it for told them how good it was! I always make 2 at time -because it's easy but messy. I freeze my 2nd one uncooked that way it doesn't taste like re-heated leftovers when we eat it.