Down-Home Barbecued Chicken
Summer barbecue season is here, and you'll both love grilling when this savory mainstay from Mary Kaye Rackowitz of Marysville, Washington is on the menu. Hot pepper sauce adds a little zip to the tender chicken.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Grill: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each), skin removed
- In small saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Reserve 1/3 cup sauce for basting. Cover and refrigerate the remaining sauce.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20-25 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 320 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 938mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Barbecued Chicken in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.