Summer barbecue season is here, and you'll both love grilling when this savory mainstay from Mary Kaye Rackowitz of Marysville, Washington is on the menu. Hot pepper sauce adds a little zip to the tender chicken.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each), skin removed
- In small saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Reserve 1/3 cup sauce for basting. Cover and refrigerate the remaining sauce.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20-25 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Down-Home Barbecued Chicken in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 11
Reviews forDown-Home Barbecued Chicken
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2013
"After making this the first time I couldn't stay away fron the left overs!!! I have made it many times since and absolutely love it!!!"