Down-Home Apple Crisp
Served warm from the oven, this down-home dessert is a perfect finale for fall and winter meals. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium apples)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, lemon juice and apple pie spice. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, sugar, salt and remaining flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream.
Blueberry Apple Crisp: Reduce apples to 6 cups and add 2 cups blueberries. Prepare and bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings. Cranberry Apple Crisp: Reduce apples to 6 cups and add 2 cups cranberries. Prepare and bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings. Graham Cracker Apple Crisp: Prepare apples as directed. In place of topping, combine 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 275 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Apple Crisp in The Taste of Home Cookbook 3rd Edition
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.