- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon. Using a fork, stir in softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool in pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forDown East Blueberry Buckle
"I am the one who created the recipe. I always have used half and half, never 2% milk....much richer. So, I do not know why TOH modified the ingredients. It may have been a mistake. I always use real butter and frozen blueberries, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels and add while still frozen."
"Used whole milk, disappeared way too fast. Will make 2 pans next time!"
"Fantastic recipe!!! Very easy to make and was a gone when I took it to work."
"My family really liked this recipe. Goes nicely with a big cup of coffee!"
"Husband raved over this recipe. While it was good, it didn't match up to what I get when I travel to Maine. However, not using the tiny sweet Maine blueberries may be the reason. It is a simple and quick recipe to stir up."
"I was pleased with how quickly this was put together and in the oven. The high point for one of our kids was that the blueberry wasn't overwhelming. I found it to be on the dry side, both the cake and the topping. I used fresh blueberries. Perhaps it would have been better to use frozen."
"SO delicious! I used part whole wheat flour and substituted a heart healthy oil for the butter in the batter and threw in some oats in the crumb topping instead of all flour. It was AMAZING! The only other change I made was that I used 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup rhubarb because I didn't have enough blueberries. So yummy!"
"Very moist! Definitely a favorite."
"MADE THIS TWICE ALREADY AND EVERYONE LOVED IT! MY HUSBAND LIKES IT WARM WITH A LITTLE WHIPPING CREAM OVER IT! YUMM!"