Double Shot Espresso Ganache Cake
The Place is "Harry's Bar" in Venice, Italy, and my recipe is a near-perfect re-creation of their double shot Espresso and Espresso Ganache Cake. Serve generous slices on the side a bowl of whipped cream with fresh raspberries, dusted with cocoa. —Wolfgang Hanau, West Palm Bch, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 15 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brewed espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 eggs
- ESPRESSO GANACHE:
- 2-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brewed espresso
- Optional garnishes: whipped cream, espresso beans, fresh raspberries and baking cocoa
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter. Combine espresso and sugar until sugar is dissolved; stir into chocolate mixture. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed for 1 minute. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes longer or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in cooled chocolate mixture until no streaks remain. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1-1/2 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake at 400° for 19-22 minutes or until temperature reaches 160° and top appears set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in espresso. Spread over cake. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use flour.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without optional garnishes): 296 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Harry's Bar Double Shot Espresso Venice Ganache Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012