VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 28 pepperoni slices, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120* to 130*)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; add pepperoni. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels; stir in cheese and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine contents of hot roll mix, water, butter and egg until dough pulls away from side of bowl and holds together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Pat dough into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center third of dough; sprinkle with oregano. Fold sides over filling; press edges lightly to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with oil. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Double Sausage Stromboli in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p180