Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped mandarin oranges, well drained
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg and milk; add to crumb mixture. Stir in oranges just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat into a 6-in. circle. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Cut into eight separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack.
- For orange butter, beat butter and marmalade in a small bowl until fluffy. Serve with warm scones.
1 each: 327 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.