- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups ground walnuts or pecans, divided
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in almonds. Immediately pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips; let stand until chips become glossy. Spread evenly over top. Sprinkle with 1 cup walnuts. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining chips; stir until smooth. Spread over toffee. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 pounds.
Reviews forDouble-Nut English Toffee
"My friends and family rave about this every year. They can't get enough and i have to agree! Sometimes I do cheat and only put nuts on the top but it's just as good."
"Yummy! I personally would only use one layer of chocolate next time, but they are good!"