VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped salted cashews
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cashews.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Double Nut Crunchies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p71