Double-Duty Slow-Cooked Lemony Spring Veggies
These spuds do a slow simmer with carrots and onion for a comfort side that amps up any entree. Finish with a sprinkle of chives. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
Makes4 servings plus leftovers
- 4 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas (about 4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Place carrots and onion in a 4-qt. slow cooker; top with potatoes. Drizzle with melted butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Stir in lemon zest.
- Reserve 3 cups potato mixture for Double-Duty Hearty Chicken & Vegetable Soup. To serve remaining potato mixture, sprinkle with chives.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 141 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Lemony New Potatoes in Simple & Delicious April/May 2016