Every year my husband and I take our two daughters to an orchard to pick apples so we can make this luscious applesauce for family and neighbors. —Jennifer Purcell, Vermilion, Ohio
Recommended: 15 Favorite Easter Dinner Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 pounds apples, peeled and sliced (about 13 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until apples are soft.
Add vanilla; stir to break up apples. Reserve 3/4 cup applesauce for Double-Duty Applesauce Mini Muffins. Serve remaining applesauce warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled applesauce in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Yield: 8 servings plus leftover.
Originally published as Double-Duty Heavenly Applesauce in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Reviews forDouble-Duty Heavenly Applesauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2016
"Very good!! Mine turned out more like apple butter, but whatever you call it, it's good!"