Double-Duty Hearty Chili Without Beans
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes5 servings plus leftovers
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, add beef half at a time; cook over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, parsley and seasonings into beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Reserve 5 cups chili for Double-Duty Layered Enchilada Casserole. Serve remaining chili with rice and toppings as desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice and toppings): 278 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Apr 30, 2018
Good recipe. Love that is has no beans and is a bit on the mild side. I will definitely make this again. It was well received by all who had a bowl.
Feb 13, 2018
Chili has no beans or Rice ! This is Chili served with Rice. Just a cheap way to fill a person up & save money.
Nov 5, 2017
Made this for a "dadchelor" party. It received great reviews from the guys.
Jan 18, 2017
This is a great chili recipe if you don't like it really spicy. Just add some more chili seasoning, cayenne and others spices if you want it to have a little more flavor. It was fast and easy for dinner last night.
Oct 23, 2016
Pretty good, and quite hearty. Needs more spice. I served it with cheese on top. I would probably make it again.
Feb 15, 2016
I only did the chili and did not do the double duty enchiladas. 2 minor complaints: 1. Chili was a bit bland, needed more seasoning of some sort. 2. For a slow cooker recipe, there was a lot of prep work. When I use my slow cooker, I prefer dump and go, which is why I selected a slow cooker recipe. However, I will make again with some slight adjustments.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.