Double-Duty Hearty Chili Without Beans
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes5 servings plus leftovers
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, add beef half at a time; cook over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, parsley and seasonings into beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Reserve 5 cups chili for Double-Duty Layered Enchilada Casserole. Serve remaining chili with rice and toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice and toppings): 278 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Dec 11, 2018
This is a great Chili! I always serve my Chili with several toppings, including beans. The spice level is mild, but an easy fix in 1 envelope of Chili spice mix. I would definitely make this again!
Apr 30, 2018
Good recipe. Love that is has no beans and is a bit on the mild side. I will definitely make this again. It was well received by all who had a bowl.
Feb 13, 2018
Chili has no beans or Rice ! This is Chili served with Rice. Just a cheap way to fill a person up & save money.
Nov 5, 2017
Made this for a "dadchelor" party. It received great reviews from the guys.
Jan 18, 2017
This is a great chili recipe if you don't like it really spicy. Just add some more chili seasoning, cayenne and others spices if you want it to have a little more flavor. It was fast and easy for dinner last night.
Oct 23, 2016
Pretty good, and quite hearty. Needs more spice. I served it with cheese on top. I would probably make it again.
Feb 15, 2016
I only did the chili and did not do the double duty enchiladas. 2 minor complaints: 1. Chili was a bit bland, needed more seasoning of some sort. 2. For a slow cooker recipe, there was a lot of prep work. When I use my slow cooker, I prefer dump and go, which is why I selected a slow cooker recipe. However, I will make again with some slight adjustments.