I plant a big garden, which includes a lot of corn. My seven grandchildren enjoy coming to help pick and husk the corn. When our family gets together, they tell me "bring corn".
Recommended: 23 Things to Make with Leftover Corned Beef
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn, cooked
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread mix
- 3 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion. Drain. Add ketchup, salt, chili powder and oregano; cook for 5 minutes. Cool slightly. With a spoon, press meat mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate. spoon corn into crust. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in 2 tablespoons melted butter. Spread over corn. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, cornstarch and remaining butter in a saucepan; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Cut pie into wedges and serve with sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Double Corn Bake in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p37