- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water and milk. Beat in chocolate until combined.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick insert near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and cocoa. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Transfer to a bowl; stir occasionally until completely cooled. Beat until smooth; spread over cake. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews forDouble Chocolate Sheet Cake
"Is the 1/2 cup of milk suppose to be in the batter recipe along with the water? Maybe that's why it's so runny?"
"This cake was sooo good! Exactly what I was looking for and easy to make. As one previous review stated, the batter was pretty runny, which worried me a bit, and it took about 10 mins longer to bake than the recipe states, but it set up just fine and was delicious. I substitued baking cocoa for the baking chocolate but worked out fine. I also skipped the frosting and just dusted some powdered sugar on the top. This is my new go-to cake recipe!"
"made the cake --it was great but was afraid to make frosting -- is that 1 cup granular sugar??"
"I followed the recipe with the exception tat I substituted Splenda for baking, for the sugars. Recipe turned out well but next time will reduce the amount of Splenda, it was too sweet using given amounts. I also added sliced roasted almonds to topping of cake and served it with sliced strawberries and fresh coffee. Very good."