Double Chocolate Scones
Chocolate lovers will adore these moist, decadent scones that won me a blue ribbon in a baking competition. They’re perfect for a tea or brunch, and the mix of cocoa and chocolate chips makes them sweet enough for dessert. —Stephanie Sorbie, Glendale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Cut in cream cheese and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk one egg, cream and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat dough into a 6-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg; brush over scones. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 412 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.