Double Chocolate, Orange and Hazelnut Biscotti
My family and I love to snack on biscotti. Biscotti is actually very easy to make and is delicious with breakfast or as a snack. It stores well for over a week in a sealed jar or bag. I came up with the recipe when trying to use odds and ends I had in the house. It's delicious with coffee or espresso! —Sarah Knoblock, Hyde Park, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/4 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place hazelnuts in a resealable plastic bag; crush nuts using a mallet or rolling pin.
- Beat egg, sugar and milk until light and thick; add vanilla. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir in orange zest. Gradually beat into egg mixture (dough will be thick). Fold in chocolate chips and crushed hazelnuts by hand.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, shape dough into a 9x5-in. rectangle. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool on pans on wire racks until firm, 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 325°. Transfer baked rectangle to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place on baking sheet, cut sides down. Return to oven, baking until crisp, 6-8 minutes on each side. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Editor’s Note: To toast whole hazelnuts, bake, stirring occasionally, in a shallow pan in a 350° oven until fragrant and lightly browned, 7-10 minutes. Wrap cooled hazelnuts in a tea towel; rub with towel to loosen skins.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 112 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Double Chocolate, Orange, and Hazelnut Biscotti in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.