My family and I love to snack on biscotti. Biscotti is actually very easy to make and is delicious with breakfast or as a snack. It stores well for over a week in a sealed jar or bag. I came up with this recipe when trying to use odds and ends I had in the house. It's delicious with coffee or espresso! —Sarah Knoblock, Hyde Park, Indiana
Recommended: The Best Cookies for Dunking
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place hazelnuts in a resealable plastic bag; crush nuts using a mallet or rolling pin.
- Beat egg, sugar and milk until light and thick; add vanilla. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir in orange zest. Gradually beat into egg mixture (dough will be thick). Fold in chocolate chips and crushed hazelnuts by hand.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, shape dough into a 9x5-in. rectangle. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool on pans on wire racks until firm, 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 325°. Transfer baked rectangle to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place on baking sheet, cut sides down. Return to oven, baking until crisp, 6-8 minutes on each side. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Double Chocolate, Orange and Hazelnut Biscotti in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018