Double Chip Meringue Bars
This recipe came from my mom. It originally called just for chocolate chips, but the addition of peanut butter chips was a huge success. And the meringue topping makes these bars extra special.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chips and pat lightly. For topping, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over chips.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 124 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Double Chip Meringue Bars in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.