Double Chip Meringue Bars
This recipe came from my mom. It originally called just for chocolate chips, but the addition of peanut butter chips was a huge success. And the meringue topping makes these bars extra special.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chips and pat lightly. For topping, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over chips.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 124 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.