- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 ounces mild or hot Italian sausage
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (24 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon parsley, sugar, basil, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and remaining parsley and salt.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a third of the cheese mixture, 1-1/3 cups mozzarella cheese and a third of remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forDonna Lasagna
"Thank you, Donna! I've been looking for that perfect classic "go-to" lasagna -- and I found it in your recipe. Clean, delicious, yumminess the whole family loved -- and it just gets better as leftovers the next day. I also nearly doubled the tomato puree (29 oz. can) but went by-the-book for the rest. Fantastico!"
"I make this lasagna at least once a month for church dinners. I double the meat; however, everything else in this recipe is added as stated. This is a phenomenal lasagna recipe!!!"
"Made this as written, minus the Italian sausage because we didn't have it in the house. My husband isn't a leftover or pasta person but he wanted more and more of this and was sad when it was gone. It only lasted a few days between the two of us with eating it for dinner and lunch. Would make a great make-ahead freezer meal also! I feel the blend of the spices and added cottage cheese make this taste so wonderful."
"Perfect comfort food! I make extra sauce to spoon over servings . Cottage cheese and ricotta cheese can be interchangeable , depending on preference."
"I'm not easily impressed but this was excellent. I used my own sauce which was much richer but the cheeses in this really made a difference. Be sure you let it set before cutting."
"This was delicious. I made extra sauce because photo looks dry. I also baked with non-stick foil and uncovered the last 10 minutes. Delicious and looked good."