Dipped Spice Cookies
A hint of orange and a sprinkling of spices lend old-fashioned goodness to these delightful treats. The logs are dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with nuts for a special look.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat the cookie dough, flour, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon, ginger and orange zest until combined. Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into 2-in. logs. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; sprinkle with walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 110 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spiced Logs Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2005