Dipped Spice Cookies
A hint of orange and a sprinkling of spices lend old-fashioned goodness to these delightful treats. The logs are dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with nuts for a special look.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat the cookie dough, flour, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon, ginger and orange zest until combined. Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into 2-in. logs. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; sprinkle with walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 110 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Logs Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.