- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Remove from the heat; dip cookies halfway into chocolate. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews forDipped Coconut Shortbread
"I don't know what I've done wrong. I followed the direction, but I can't get this dough to be anything but crumbs.Update: Added some milk to the dough to get it to hold together, and it worked, and tasted pretty good. Might not technically be shortbread anymore, but at least it worked."
"I've made these cookies several years now for Valentines Day and everyone loves them! I always use a heart- shaped cookie cutter and they turn out really cute - thanx so much for this fantastic recipe... It's a keeper!"