Dilly Sweet Onion Relish
“Absolutely the best sweet relish I have tasted. It can be served warm, cold or at room temperature. My aunt swore by this relish, and I can see why. It cannot be matched!” —Denise Patterson, Bainbridge, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 large sweet onions (about 3-1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh dill or 4 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add broth and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 57 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Relish with Dill in Taste of Home August/September 2008
Jun 5, 2010
This was tasty. I think I would prefer to have the onions chopped rather than sliced. I'll try it again with chopped onions. They should be eaiser to eat on a sandwich.