Dilly Romaine Salad
Fresh dill gives a nice zing and flavor to the dressing for this refreshing salad. I seldom use store-bought dressings anymore, now that I know how easy it is to mix up my own homemade versions. -Catherine Dawe, Kent, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
Makes12 servings (1 cup salad dressing)
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- CREAMY DILL DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large salad bowl, toss the romaine, cucumber, tomatoes and onion. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; cover and shake well. Serve with salad. Refrigerate any leftover dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 109 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Dilly Romaine Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.