- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Let sour cream stand at room temperature for 1 hour. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sour cream, egg, butter, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the onion, dill seed and dill weed; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each into an 18-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forDilly Onion Braid
"Pretty easy to make which is great. I found it tastes the best warm and with salted butter. Plus it looks impressive!"
"easy and delicious. Only added the dill weed and not the dill seed."
"easy and delicious."