My grandkids will tell you they can't stop with just one bowl of this simple satisfying soup. Even the youngest ones beg me to make it! It's been a family favorite for over 50 years now.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 to 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add the cheese and sour cream; heat and stir just until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Dilly Cheese Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p31