Dilly Bran Refrigerator Rolls
These rolls are perfect to make when you’re having company for dinner or serving a holiday meal. The day before, mix and knead the dough, then refrigerate it. The next day, shape the rolls and let them rise, then bake just before dinner. If you have any left over, I’ve found the baked rolls also freeze well.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine boiling water and bran; set aside. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the butter, sugar, salt, dill, eggs, 2 cups flour and bran mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into 12 balls; place in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 224 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Dilly Bran Dinner Rolls-Refrigerator in Country October/November 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.