Dilly Bran Bread
My daughter, Deedee, used this recipe for her 4-H yeast bread project and received rave reviews. This started out as a basic wheat recipe, but I eventually added dill to suit my family's tastes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (10 slices each)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bran cereal
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Melted butter
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cereal, dill, yeast and salt. Add the buttermilk, water, honey and shortening; beat until smooth. Add eggs; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into round loaves; place each in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and let rise until double,d about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with butter.
Originally published as Dilly Bran Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001