Dilled Wheat Bread
Jenny Witcraft of Cleveland, Ohio likes to serve this everyday bread with just about any meal, and especially with hearty soups and stews.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-3/4 pounds, 12 slices)
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 134 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Dilly Bread in Light & Tasty December/January 2008