Dilled Peas with Walnuts
“This simple yet delicious side dish is a family favorite,” says Kristen Johnson of Aloha, Oregon. Dill, onion and walnut dress up bright green peas without overpowering them.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, combine peas and onion. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until peas are tender. Drain.
- Stir in the butter, dill, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 109 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Dilled Peas and Walnuts in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009