Dilled Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds), quartered
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, cut up
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and sliced
- Few sprigs fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces thin egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1. Place chicken, vegetables and dill in a large kettle. Add water to cover, about 2-1/2 qts. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim foam. Add salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Remove chicken and vegetables; set aside to cool. Pour the broth through a strainer. Slice carrots and dice chicken; return to broth. Discard all other vegetables and bones. Add noodles to soup and heat through.
1 cup: 328 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 20, 2010
This is a wonderful soup. I would never have thought to put sweet potato and parsnips in chicken noodle soup, but they work beautifully with the dill.