Dill Wheat Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Coarse salt, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, onion, yeast, dill and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the cottage cheese, water and 1 tablespoon butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without coarse salt): 160 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Sep 9, 2012
I have been making this recipe since it's 'debut' in the TOH F/M 2011 issue.While retrieving the recipe to make 'AGAIN' tomorrow, I noticed that I had not yet rated and reviewed it.I have added just about every combination of herbs and spices imaginable, with the end results always positive!My only 'constant addition' is GARLIC! Dried, fresh minced, chopped, sliced, whole!I cannot believe that someone would rate this at 3 stars because something was 'compromised', in their kitchen, and certainly not the recipe at fault!
Aug 6, 2012
Great flavor and so easy to make. The smell is even more wonderful. My grandson just received Reserve Champion bread award at our county fair. Definitely one to make often.
Feb 16, 2011
I tried this recipe 3 times and it never turned out for me. It wouldn't rise. I checked my yeast and it was fine. I am a bread maker and I couldn't get this to work. It tasted great even though it was FLAT!
Feb 10, 2011
I'll be the first to admit, I'm no bread maker, but this bread turned out like I'm an expert. let the KitchenAid mixer do the kneading for me. It is beautiful, good texture and the taste is great.
Feb 4, 2011
This bread is delicious with just the right amount of dill flavor in every bite.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.