Dill Seasoned Pot Roast
This easy pot roast is wonderful family fare and a favorite to serve guests. I serve it with noodles or rice. I owe my love of creative cooking to my late mother, who was a professional cook. —Judy Poor Overland Park, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 bone-in beef chuck roast (3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain. Sprinkle with dill seed, salt and pepper. Add water and vinegar to the pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Pour drippings into a measuring cup. Strain and skim fat, reserving 3 tablespoons fat and all of the drippings. In a small saucepan, heat reserved fat and drippings; stir in flour until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in the sour cream and dill weed heat through (do not boil). Serve with the roast.