This easy pot roast is wonderful family fare and a favorite to serve guests. I serve it with noodles or rice. I owe my love of creative cooking to my late mother, who was a professional cook. —Judy Poor Overland Park, Kansas
Recommended: 52 Impressive Slow Cooker Recipes to Wow Your Guests
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 bone-in beef chuck roast (3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain. Sprinkle with dill seed, salt and pepper. Add water and vinegar to the pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Pour drippings into a measuring cup. Strain and skim fat, reserving 3 tablespoons fat and all of the drippings. In a small saucepan, heat reserved fat and drippings; stir in flour until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in the sour cream and dill weed heat through (do not boil). Serve with the roast. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Dilled Pot Roast in Reminisce January/February 2005, p48
Reviews forDill Seasoned Pot Roast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2013
"This was a hit with my family!"