I've been depending on this recipe for more than 20 years. I often shape the dough into rolls and use them for sandwiches.—Barbara Jean Robo, Joplin, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (9 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese and butter to 110°-115°; add to yeast mixture. Add onion, dill seed, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into two round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.