I've been depending on this recipe for more than 20 years. I often shape the dough into rolls and use them for sandwiches.—Barbara Jean Robo, Joplin, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (9 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese and butter to 110°-115°; add to yeast mixture. Add onion, dill seed, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into two round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Mr. King's Dill Sandwich Buns in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008