VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, dill weed, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Stir down batter. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Bake 45-50 minutes or until deep golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt. Cool completely. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Dill Batter Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p171