Dijon Ham Braid
I found this recipe in one of the first cookbooks I received in my collection. It is very easy to make and serve up at potlucks and picnics. —Joyce L Mitchell, Kilmarnock, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream cheese, milk and mustard. Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until smooth, stirring occasionally. Add the ham and peas; set aside.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, roll pastry into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Spread ham mixture down the center third of rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips to within 1/2 in. of filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; pinch ends to seal. Combine egg yolk and water; brush over braid. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 268 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Dijon-Ham Braid in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.