Diamond Almond Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over dough. Top with almonds. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into diamond-shaped bars. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 64 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 27, 2011
These bar cookies came out very dry and crumbly. The flavor was there, but definitely not the texture. I will not be making these again.
Apr 23, 2011
Have made this many times. Very light and tasty, if you love almond flavor, you'll enjoy this cookie.
Mar 2, 2010
Tasty and easy to make. I would put it in a smaller pan though. They were a little thin. Kind of taste like snickerdoodles.
Feb 28, 2009
didn't like so much, but made great triangular base for the chocolate mice! went over well