- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 package (7 ounces) milk chocolate turtle candies, chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Additional milk chocolate turtle candies, broken, optional
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, buttermilk, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Combine 1 cup candies and cocoa; fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Remove waxed paper.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add caramel topping; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining candies.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with chocolate frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of torte with cream mixture. Garnish with additional candies if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forDevil's Food Caramel Torte
"This cake is delicious and the caramel frosting is the best! I experienced some trouble spreading the batter in the pan because the greased wax paper moved around. In addition I will take any suggestion - my "cream mixture" was more like a thick soup with no "stiff peaks" . Not sure if I did not mix it long enough or if it was overmixed or on the wrong speed. I will definitely make this again and hopefully improve on the cream mixture."