Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forDevil's Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
"Oooh i made something very similar a few months ago, and it was delicious! Loved seeing how you had a different take on it ( http://bit.ly/1FmVmhv ) . I’m definitely making this! thanks for sharing!"
"Wonderful recipe, but since I was out of sour cream I substituted Fage Total Greek yogurt...I also had only 3 squares of baking chocolate in cupboard, so I used them for the cake. For the frosting, I substituted 4 Tbsp. of Penzeys Dutch-process cocoa. This was a fabulous cake! Rich and dense cake with frosting that was not-too-sweet. I toasted some slivered almonds and garnished the sides of cake before serving."
"My Step-Mom's favorite cake ever. Rave reviews from all. Substituting coffee for the water is a great idea."
"This is the best devil's food cake I can remember making and eating. The only change I made was using coffee instead of water. Definitely a go to recipe."
"Nice flavor - came together fine. No problem with the frosting."
"frosting came out too watery. Can't comment on cake because I didn't make it."
"frosting came out too watery."