Devil’s Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 678 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 104g carbohydrate (77g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2017
This is very similar to my mom’s chocolate cake recipe, so I had to try it. I loved the extra layer of flavor that the brown sugar added. I must confess, I also added 1/2 cup of cocoa powder with the dry ingerdients as we love a really dark chocolate cake, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly
Mar 17, 2015
The cake came out a little too dense for me. The flavor, however, is wonderful, both the cake and the frosting.
Jan 5, 2015
Oooh i made something very similar a few months ago, and it was delicious! Loved seeing how you had a different take on it ( http://bit.ly/1FmVmhv ) . I’m definitely making this! thanks for sharing!
Dec 25, 2014
Really delicious cake. Moist, especially for a chocolate cake. I didn't have the unsweetened chocolate squares so I substituted the Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder recipe for the frosting. The perfect chocolate birthday cake!
May 22, 2014
Wonderful recipe, but since I was out of sour cream I substituted Fage Total Greek yogurt...I also had only 3 squares of baking chocolate in cupboard, so I used them for the cake. For the frosting, I substituted 4 Tbsp. of Penzeys Dutch-process cocoa. This was a fabulous cake! Rich and dense cake with frosting that was not-too-sweet. I toasted some slivered almonds and garnished the sides of cake before serving.
Jan 30, 2014
My Step-Mom's favorite cake ever. Rave reviews from all. Substituting coffee for the water is a great idea.
Jul 10, 2013
This is the best devil's food cake I can remember making and eating. The only change I made was using coffee instead of water. Definitely a go to recipe.
Feb 23, 2013
Nice flavor - came together fine. No problem with the frosting.
Nov 18, 2012
We made this cake exactly how recipt calls out, it was one of the best cakes and frosting I have ever made. The whole family loved it. Cake was not dry, and frosting was perfect!
Oct 13, 2012
frosting came out too watery. Can't comment on cake because I didn't make it.