Deluxe Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough into fourth. On a surface lightly sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, roll out the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen (2-inch cookies).
Editor's Note: Cookies may be sprinkled with colored sugar before baking or frosted after being baked and cooled.
2 each: 118 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Deluxe Sugar Cookies
"Best sugar cookies I have ever made or eaten!"
"Excellent! I made these with my 7 yr old nephew, very easy. I chilled the dough for about 20 minutes in the freezer and they rolled out nicely."
"I followed the recipe exactly as written, but my dough came out very soft. I chilled it over night so that I could roll out the cookies in the morning. I found that the dough got warm and soft very quickly, making it almost impossible to roll out and difficult to cut the cookie shapes. Should I have added more flour?"
"Excellent taste, rolled easily cut out easily! I cut almond extract to 1/4 Tsp."
"The taste is good, but this recipe isn't very conducive to cutout cookies ... they don't hold their crisp shape when baking."
"My Mom has been using this recipe for more than 40 years. It is a family favorite. Using parchment paper under the cookies helps prevent the issue of sticking to the cookie sheet."
"Mmmmmm! My favorite sugar cookie recipe by far!"
"i LOVED these cookies. had no problem with them sticking and they taste great. the only change i made the next time i made these was to add only 1/4 tspn of almond extract. it was just too strong for my taste. but they have a great texture and firmness. rolled out easily and hold shape perfectly after baking"
"I give this recipe ZERO stars!! What a huge flop and waste of ingredients!! I made one sheet of cookies and baked them according to the directions, and they all stuck to the sheet. There was absolutely NO way to get them off the sheet without destroying them. I threw the remaining dough in the garbage and didnt even attempt another sheet. Very disappointed."
"I use this recipe every year for my cut outs! Very very very good!!! A++++"