This tasty shortcake is perfect for the Fourth of July. I love the moist texture and from-scratch flavor. It's foolproof and always brings lots of compliments. —Janet Fant, Denair, California
Featured In: 12 Shortcake Recipes for Berry Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Place one cake on a serving plate; top with half of the cream cheese mixture and strawberries. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Deluxe Strawberry Shortcake in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p53
Reviews forDeluxe Strawberry Shortcake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 15, 2012
Reviewed Apr. 19, 2010
"This recipe is awesome! Everyone I've made it for absolutely loves it! I'll never go back to regular shortcake again!"