- 4 to 5 large potatoes (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Paprika, optional
- Peel and cube the potatoes; place in a saucepan and cover with water. Cook over medium heat until tender; drain. Mash until smooth (do not add milk or butter). Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, chives, onion salt and pepper. Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Dot with butter; sprinkle with paprika if desired. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forDeluxe Mashed Potatoes
"These mashed potatoes were a big hit! So creamy and flavorful."
"I have been making these for almost 20 years. I use several cloves of roasted garlic, mix everything together put in a well buttered casserole cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. We eat these for Christmas dinner, my family calls them Christmas potatoes. I take them out an hour before dinner to come to room temperature. I sprinkle some grated sharp cheddar and a little Parmesan during the last 15 minutes of baking. The leftovers make awesome potato pancakes!"
"Sounds tasty.I'm a bit confused though. It says "can be made ahead, refrigerated and then popped into the oven just prior to dinnertime." baking for 35-40 minutes does not sound like "just prior to dinnertime" to me. I think of "JUST PRIOR to dinnertime" as something closer to 15 minutes. Are you suppose to boil the cubed potatoes, mash, add and combine the ingredients, then refrigerate it, and then bake the whole dish 35-40 minutes when you want it?"
"I have been making these potatoes for 20 years. I call them Snowy Potatoes, they're always everyone's favorite. If they seem a little dry, you can add a little half and half, and if you use white pepper it keeps them nice and white."
"I've been using a recipe similar to this (mine includes 4 cloves minced garlic cooked w/potatoes, 8 oz. cream cheese & 1 C sour cream, 6 Tbs, butter) so highly recommend you try the recipe! My grandchildren request it at every family meal!"
"Excellent flavor and very creamy, loved it."
"Delicious!!! This recipe elevates mashed potatoes from ho hum to wow!"
"I LOVE this recipe. It always gets great comments. I use 4 oz. cream cheese and 2/3 c. sour cream. Then I fold in by hand some shredded cheddar cheese. Outstanding! PS Don't use a mixer if you are adding the cheddar cheese-it turns your potatoes orange!"