Deluxe Ham Balls
Whenever I serve these saucy baked ham balls to guests, they ask me for the recipe. It's one I've had for many years and is a great use for leftover ham. I love to entertain, and know I can count on these ham balls to be a hit.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, bread crumbs and onion. Crumble ham and pork over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine the pineapple, brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and ginger. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over ham balls.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 469 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 1610mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Deluxe Ham Balls in Country Woman March/April 2000