- 6 cups crumbled corn bread
- 2 cups white bread cubes, toasted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large tart apples, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, pecans and seasonings; set aside. Crumble sausage into a large skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink; remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels.
- Add butter to drippings; saute the apples, celery and onion until tender. Add to bread mixture. Stir in sausage and enough broth to moisten.
- Spoon into a greased 3-qt. baking dish; cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes. Or use to stuff a turkey; bake according to recipe. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 11 cups).
Reviews for Deluxe Corn Bread Stuffing
"I cut the recipe in half and only used white bread cubes, not cornbread. It was a delicious mix of ingredients that pairs well with pork chops. I added a beaten egg and only used enough chicken stock to moisten the stuffing."
"I was surprised how sweet this dressing was, my husband loved it. I did add a little more sage, just because I like it that way. Excellent side dish no matter what meal it's served with."
"Very high-end stuffing. Was a huge hit with my picky boyfriend who didn't even realize that he liked stuffing. The herbs give it a grown-up taste. And the apples and sausage make it a side dish that you can eat all on its own for leftovers. To quote my boyfriend, "This ain't no Stove Top!" No, honey...it "ain't." We'll be having this again next year. ;-)"