Chicken, vegetables and cheese really liven up plain potatoes in this mouthwatering version. These splendid spuds are easy to assemble at the last minutes.—Jenny Riegsecker, Delta, Ohio
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 baking potatoes (about 10 ounces each)
- Canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Rub will oil. Bake at 400° for 60-70 minutes or until tender. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; set shells aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the pulp. Stir in the chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the flour, salt and pepper; stir until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup cheese until melted. Add 1/3 cup sauce to potato mixture; toss to blend.
- Spoon into potato shells. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over potatoes. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Deluxe Baked Potatoes in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p65
Reviews forDeluxe Baked Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2009
"This is an excellent recipe. My family loved it! Fresh broccoli and mushrooms can easily be used as well."