Delightful Fruit Salad Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 package (16 ounces) acini di pepe pasta
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in pineapple juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover surface of dressing with waxed paper; refrigerate until cooled.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a very large bowl; stir in the oranges, pineapple, marshmallows, coconut and dressing. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 24 servings (3/4 cup each).
Editor's Note: Acini di pepe are tiny pellets of pasta. This recipe was tested with DaVinci brand pasta. You may substitute 1 pound of macaroni or other pasta if desired.
3/4 cup: 234 calories, 4g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Delightful Fruit Salad
"So delicious! Substituted more marshmallows for the coconut...may have used more than 2 cups!!"
"This recipe is a wonderful change of pace to fruit salad!! We have to have it at all family gatherings now!"
"This is amazing. Everytime mom makes it we fight over the whole bowl"